Saturday, January 8, 2011

Flexing My "Mussels"

One of my favorite and most relaxing things to do is trying new restaurants and cooking with family and friends.

I have been lucky enough in my life that my parents have introduced me to many types of cuisine. This includes anything from fine dining to hole in the walls. Both of these venues are mouth watering in so many different ways. So one would think that I am  not reluctant to try a new dish.



Well.....

When I started dating my husband Bubby a few years back, he introduced me to mussels. I have never tried them. They just  never appealed to me. I don't know why? Because I am a big fan of oysters! It was love at first bite!


So last night, it was just me and Bubby watching the Cotton Bowl with no kids.

And this past week I have been craving mussels.

So I thought I would give it a try!

Come to find out it was a rather simple recipe. The mussels are quickly steamed in an aromatic wine broth, and in minutes they were ready to enjoy. I served it with french bread and salad with a creole french vinaigrette.




Drunken Mussels

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 8 tablespoons of butter
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 cup of diced sweet onion
  • 1/4 cup of Italian parsley
  • 1/2 tablespoon of lemon zest
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
  • 3 pounds of fresh mussels, scrubbed and rinsed
Preparation:

Add the butter to a large stockpot (one with a tight-fitting lid).  Melt it over medium heat, and add the garlic and onion; cook for one minute, or until the butter begins to foam.

Add the wine, parsley, lemon zest, and pepper flake. Turn the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the mussels and cover quickly. Cook for 3 minutes, give the pot a little shake back and forth, and cook for another 2-4 minutes, or until the mussels have opened.

As soon as the shells open, sere immediately.

NOTE: the mussels will shrivel up to nothing if left to simmer in the hot liquid.

Serve with bread for dipping.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment